Monday, December 21, 2009

Qualifications?


You might ask: 'what gives you the right to blog on food? Are you a chef? Have you appeared on Ready Steady Cook? Do you even cook for your family?' You might have asked that. But perhaps it didn't cross your mind. In which case, now I've brought it to your attention, and you can begin questioning my motives and qualifications starting from... now!

The answers to these questions, is that I am quite unqualified in the area of food and food preparation, and I'm not a gourmet, though that's not to say the profession escaped my contemplation.

But I do like to eat. In fact, I like it so much I do it every single day.

And I can also bake cakes, cupcakes, and cookies, which don't always turn out burnt, and are sometimes tasty. So I will take your Bachelor of Gastronomy, and raise it... with this tray of chocolate-chip and apricot peel cookies. They are soft and chewy and melt in your mouth.

4 comments:

  1. Ready steady cook is the worst show ever invented. Peter Everet needs to be taken off air. He is the most awkward presenter and annoying as hell in the kitchen. You can always see the chefs are holding back the abuse.

    Now Gordon Ramsey is tool, but boy can he deliver the entertainment! Same with Jamie Oliver, but he seems so fake sometimes, over produced. My favourite cooking show is Rick Steins Seafood Odyssey, even though I don't eat seafood, his passion and his storytelling makes me love the show so much!

    http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=739476

    Just in case you want to purchase it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter Everett is the reason I watch Ready Steady Cook! His awkwardness IS the entertainment! Yes, seeing how mushrooms, leeks, baby corn, barramundi fillets and strawberries can be turned into a 4-course meal is also enjoyable but it all pales in comparison to the juggernaut that is Everett!

    Every single episode I've watched features him professing his love for custard... he has the power to ruin marriages and long-term relationships with his invasive questions and pointed comments, and yes, you can often see the annoyance of the chefs, but I think there's something going on with Peter and Manu...

    Gordon Ramsay seems to derive his entertainment value from the humiliation and embarrassment of others, which is painful to watch! I'll definitely look into Rick Stein, I love seafood!

    Other cooking shows I like are Iron Chef (Japanese, not US!), Huey's Cooking Adventures (because there's a little bogan in all of us) and Global Village. My significant other also recommends Anthony Bourdain, but I've only seen one episode of his, and it centred around a German sex hotel and schnitzel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm schnitzel..

    And also, you're in the blogging world. It has revealed a whole new world of experts. The un-educated observers. They're the best experts because they're the easiest to relate to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god I love Silvio Rivero. When Global Village and Thalassa come on, I'm glued to the set. I cannot leave. He's like the David Attenbourough of food and destinations. Silvio should have his own channel!

    ReplyDelete